GMA Basic Student Etiquette
- All clothes changing must performed in the changing room.
- Bow when entering and leaving the train floor and building.
- Bow to your master instructors, Instructors, coaches, black belts and higher belts.
- All members including instructors / parents should show mutual respect to each other.
- Use your key card to check in 5-10 minutes prior to attending class.
- Respect, humility, honor, integrity, perseverance and friendship is the key to learning and growing as a family. As a GMA student we expect all members to be positive and show respect to fellow classmates and their parents.
- It is proper etiquette when attend classes to wear only academy, approved uniforms, t-shirts, only MMA rash guards and MMA shorts are permitted in class. Only plain black or white shirts or school shirts are allowed under your gi / uniform / kimono (No Tank Tops are allowed for sanitary issues) .
- It is important to maintain a clean uniform, you can always purchase an extra uniform, Gi / Kimono. ( Only academy uniforms and equipment are allowed in class and at tournaments) For insurance reasons only sanctioned GMA sparring gear is allowed in classes and in the ring. All students sparring must wear head gear and mouth piece.
- Leave your ego at the door a big ‘ego” will eventually cause anger and negativity amongst members. Remember your classmate is not your enemy or competitor he/ she is a partner to assist your learn and grow during your training. Martial arts training is about leadership and a balanced mindset. Your Instructors will assist in that growth to help a student achieve a higher level (Trash talking others, bullying, bad language or gossip are not tolerated) .
- Remember to be a great fighter or a true martial artist a student must have a focused positive mindset, with a a winning attitude and leadership skills.
- Grade school student must maintain good grades and home behavior to advance. Instructors are happy to mentor all student to excel in life. We do check report cards and home behavior with all parents.
- If you are sick and will be missing a week of classes, please call the academy and leave a message.
- Competition / tournaments etiquette is get full approval to compete, all competitors must have a GMA Coach in their corner. GMA coaches attendance is based on team members attending. ( You must be a team member to compete) Members must show a positive, disciplined behavior even if the win or lose. If you would like to be a Certified Coach / Coaching Parent please ask GM Spillmann. You will need to pass a background check and coaching course.
- Have faith in the learning process and trust your master instructors, Instructors and coaches. Remember Grandmaster and Master Instructor are the highest teaching levels, so if a higher level correct a mistake taught by lower levels then that adjustment is the final word. We all are human and make mistakes, GMA Grandmaster teach a special monthly Instructor training class ( Just for Black Belts / Training instructors) all to maintain consistency in a students training. Please note at times a technique might be updated based on seminars held by Rocian Gracie Jr or our HapKido / Taekwondo / Kung fu federation changes.
- Belt Exams and Clinics are an extra fee to cover the materials, belts and extra hours to run the exam or clinic. We also use those fees to purchase replacement, flooring, pads and other training equipment, The exam and clinic fees help to maintain a top notch academy and training area.
** See Rules pages for more in-depth information and academy rules for all martial arts styles.
GMA believes in not just teaching a person to fight and win in the ring or at a tournament. GMA believes the greatest fight in life is to master oneself, to achieve a higher level in all aspects of life in and out of the ring. We focus on excellence and strive to assist others remove their negativity, anger, emotional baggage and the fear that prevents a person to achieve a higher level in life. Our staff works hard to develop the ultimate fighter with a big heart, disciplined mind and a sharp sword. GMA is about family!
Fighter Quotes below:
“ The Best Fighter is Never Angry”
– Lao Tzu
“A fighter, a real strong fighter, should always look dignified and calm, and I believe that any expression of aggression is an expression of weakness. A strong person will not be nervous and will not express aggression towards his opponent. He will be confident in his abilities and his training; then he will face the fight calm and balanced.”
– Fedor Emelianenko
“There is a difference between a fighter and a martial artist. A fighter is training for a purpose: He has a fight. I’m a martial artist. I don’t train for a fight. I train for myself. I’m training all the time. My goal is perfection. But I will never reach perfection.”
– Georges St-Pierre
“In sport, you only see the fighter, but it’s teamwork. Without a good team, you will never be the best.
– Vitali Klitschko
“Life is about how much you can take and keep fighting, how much you can suffer and keep moving forward.”
– Anderson Silva